Sunday, August 06, 2006

Women Just Don't Get it

By Yael Israel

We, women are different, we have a small brain. We just can't get it. War seems so strange to us. It is far beyond us. It is surreal, something out of this world, most certainly out of our world. When I hear a man talking about his war experiences, I shut myself down and I run to the toilet. The same happens if I try to watch a war film, an action film or anything that has to do with violence: my small brain shuts itself down. I just don’t get it: violence, war, battles. For nearly a month I have been sitting in front of the TV, and frankly, I just don’t get it. It does not seem real to me. How did we get into it? What are we doing there? Why on earth are we fighting? What for? Why? For whom? And the same applies to both sides: us and the enemy. Why? Is it really necessary? Do you really find it necessary?

I guess men believe war is a necessity. That it is indispensable. That it's inevitable. And so on. We, women, even if we get a chance to go to war, we would never go. It's not in our genes. We do not have this drive. We don’t have the need to fight. It’s a known fact that little girls air their aggressions in many ways such as declaring a boycott, humiliating other girls, etc. Yes it sucks, but they will never hit you. Physical violence in women is a fairly new phenomena and it thrives upon the media and computer games. Women who kill are usually drug addicts, hence the violence. Nobody denies the fact that only a very small number of women killed their husbands, while there are tons of men who murdered their wives or girlfriends. Even violence towars their children is less common among mothers then among fathers. I am sure my statements will not please several men and even women who are desperatly seeking a dubious equality with men, even in this realm of violence and making war.

Last week I wrote in my Hebrew blog about Jud Neamaan, the film maker, and quoted him (From an interview in Mahbarot Kolnoa Darom). Basically what he said is that men‘s desire to go to war is the reverse of the penis envy in women, namely: men’s envy our womb. Some of my readers, mainly men, really got angry with me. I understand it pisses you off since I blame you, men, collectively. And perhaps you, my dear reader, reading my words at this very minute, are against violence. I have met a number of such men and not all of them are gay. But the majority take great pleaseure in fighting, upto a point of getting addicted to it.

Here are but a few examples: We have seen daily on the news, men who should not be at the battle field, those rockets fields forever, but still they volunteer to be there, in the midst of hell. We all saw that group of elderly veterans who volounteered to get drafted . If it wasn’t so tragic, it was hilarious, pathetic. Last week we saw several civilians, men who volunteered to extinguish fires in the Galilee, runing here and there under the fire among burning bushes and rockets. Then we saw a group of Jewish firemen from NY who had came to the rescue of the local fire dept. We saw those soldiers who got wounded, grinning at us from the TV, declaring that as soon as they get better, they’ll go back in no time to the war zone. We all saw a men aged 105, who lives on the frontline who spends his days happily on the terrace or running in the streets, counting the rockets with much pleasure.

But if you come to me with words such as: altruism, heroism, etc, I’d laught at your face. Why? Because none of us is an altruist, we all are doing what our hormones and subconciousness dictate us . And by the way, even in the tone of most of the male TV reporters, all those "Roni Daniels", you could hear the excitement, the intoxication, as if their Adrenalin is gushing forth. Yes, its about time you, men, face it. In times of danger, you get addicted to the Adrenaline which gushes forth. We, on the other hand have no wish to endanger our lives. Why should we die for nothing?

And now, when the rockets seem closer and closer to me, I am sitting in my little coasy home in Tel Aviv, enjoying my peace and quiet and I just don’t get it, why should I, a women with a small brain, have to pay the price of men’s bloody desire to take risks and go to war.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shanah said...

Speaking as a woman, war isn't just a guy thing:

>>http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/12/1213_041213_tv_suicide_bombers.html<<

>>http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1150885963162&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull<<

>>http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/739900.html<<

As far as I'm concerned, the men-- young or old, trained or not-- who are volunteering to fight against this insane enemy are brave and courageous, and deserve our respect and admiration.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Marcina said...

There you are sitting in your cozy apartment in Tel Aviv....ONLY BECAUSE THERE ARE MEN and women IN THE ISRAELI AMRY/AIRFORCE THAT ARE RISKING THEIR LIVES AND LIMBS SO THAT YOU CAN CONTINUE TO LIVE IN PEACE AND QUITE IN TEL AVIV. BY THE WAY, THE PEOPLE IN KYIART SHIMONA HAVEN'T HAD THE LUXURY YOU HAVE OF SITTING IN THEIR HOMES IN PEACE AND QUIET. WHY ARE YOU ONLY THINKING OF YOURSELF! WHAT PRICE ARE YOU PAYING? HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THIS: IF HEZBOLLAH AND HAMAS PUT DOWN THEIR GUNS THERE WOULD BE PEACE. IF THE ISRAELI ARMY/PUTS DOWN THEIR GUNS, THERE WOULD NO LONGER BE AN ISRAEL. THINK ABOUT THAT ONE WHILE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE IN YOUR TEL AVIV APARTMENT.
MARCINA

6:14 PM  
Blogger Carmel said...

excuse me for interfering but the way *I* perceived Yael's view, it isn't against men as it as against patriarchy as an ideology and some women are intoxicated by it as well. and this ideology involves the fighter adrenaline rush. i know it from my own army days because i was one of these 'crazy for the army" women. thank God people have the ability to change!

i personally love Israeli men with all their faults there's nothing like them and i find it very hard to replace them (God knows I've tried!). i think our soldiers are amazing people, one by one, the ones i know directly and indirectly. but that doesn't change the fact they die for an ideology i don't subscribe to and it freaks me out that they are willing to die for it. THAT is what we'd like to change, isn't it , girls?

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Rogel said...

It is interesting to note that when women are in power we observe more aggressive foreign policy, and often wars.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Keren said...

Sorry Yael, I disagree. Violence is not a 'male' thing. Women are perfectly capable of performing violent acts. There are many studies that refute your argument. I might write about it in more length later on. Meanwhile, lets keep in mind Jean Adams' (a professed feminist) statement: "I do not believe women are better than men. We did not destroy railways, nor corrupted the government, nor performed many other unholy acts men did. On the other hand, we must bear in mind that we never got the chance".

8:35 AM  
Blogger tafka PP said...

- First of all, can I just say that the name of your blog is inspired!

I posted on this topic too, at the beginning of the warm and got branded a man-hater, ungrateful for the protection being afforded to me by male IDF soldiers, all sorts of undeserving knee-jerks.
And have you noticed, the press has been having a field day on this topic. The Jerusalem Post ran an apology for an article over the weekend, about female soldiers, with the subheading "Has the Army Gone Soft"? Nice.

Sadly, violence/adrenalin isn't unique to men, it is alive and well and in all parts of our society. Long after this war is over, we will still have much to do in terms of changing attitudes. And meantime, if you're still convinced that only men get off on the beat of the war drums, read some of the blogs by the settler women, you may be forced to rethink your post...

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home